Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The purpose of this rotation is to provide the student with an overview of public health and pandemic health management issues using the evolving and rapidly changing COVID-19 pandemic. Students will receive a general introduction to COVID-19, pathogenesis, epidemiology, preparedness, messaging, testing/screening, handwashing/disinfection, personal protective equipment, contact tracing, and quarantine. This rotation is not intended to transform the student into an expert, but rather to provide the student a survey of the discipline.
(*Modules adapted and used with permission from Nova Southeastern University – Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine)
- For each of the modules write 10 Key Learning Notes (based on what you learned from the information and resources provided in each module). Please document facts, not your opinions. Write 50 – 100 words for each learning note. Number the notes (1 - 10). Please post your responses in SEAMed.
Complete the COVID-19 Contact Tracing Course from Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health.
You'll have to make an account but this course if free. You should receive a Certificate of Completion that you can upload into SEAMed. Do not wait until the last minute to complete this course. It should take about 7 hours to finish.
Evidence-Based Appraisal Exercises: For weeks 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 you will be required to research two topics, of your choosing, for more current research. You will then need to write a summary of what information in the module has changed (or has not changed) based on the newer article you've found. You will also need to include in your summery an EBM appraisal of which article is "the best evidence".
Here is an example of an evaluation of the "Danish Mask Study" that will help you remember what to look for when evaluating a study.
You can consult the User's Guide to Medicine Literature located in JAMAevidence for a refresher on EBM appraisal.
- Briefly explain the pathogenesis of COVID-19 infection in humans.
- Identify the clinical manifestations of COVID-19 infection.
- Describe testing tools used to screen for COVID-19 infections.
- Identify specific potential interventions in the management of COVID-19 disease.
- Describe routes of transmission of COVID-19.
- Identify key epidemiological measures applied to the COVID 19 epidemic.
- Identify important aspects of epidemic messaging. Discuss approaches to reducing spread of COVID-19.
- Describe preparedness initiatives applied to the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Describe osteopathic manipulative techniques which could be used in patients with COVID-19 infection.
- Learn the importance and mechanics of contact tracing.
Ask a Librarian
To comply with social distancing guidelines, the ACOM Librarians are working remotely and may be delayed in responding to your message. If you email us and don't get a response within a reasonable time, please send us a reminder! Stay safe!
Alabama' COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard