Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Physicians play a vital role in population and community health. The FMHC 3 population health poster project is designed to highlight that fact and provide students with a case study as an example. This project will also provide students with practice writing and presenting a poster as well as researching and evaluating population health topics and studies.
Social Determinants of Health (SDOH)
Social determinants of health are "conditions in the environments in which people are born, live, learn, work, play, worship, and age that affect a wide range of health, functioning, and quality-of-life outcomes and risks."
Examples of SDOH
Examples of Social Determinants:
- availability of resources to meet daily needs
- access to and quality of education
- access to health care services
- exposure to crime, violence, social disorder
- socioeconomic conditions
- access to mass media and emerging technologies
Examples of Physical Determinants:
- natural environment and weather
- built environment
- work sites, schools
- housing/community design
- exposure to toxic substances and physical hazards
- physical barriers
- aesthetic elements